Monday, January 26, 2009

Cold Coffee

Everytime we go to India, we're offered "cold coffee." Let's face it, it's usually close to 100 degrees Farenheit, and most of the food and beverages don't sit well with our stomach, so there is not much we can be offered. Our family knows us (and our digestive systems) well enough to boil water and place it in the fridge before we arrive, as well as often make ice cubes with the boiled water. After all, you never can be too careful! (Ash was sick for 4 days because a lime soda he ordered at a four-star restaurant had some carbonated tap water in it...)

Back to cold coffee. No, this is not brewed coffee that's sat out for too long. Instead, it tastes more like an iced coffee frap, but with less ice. I absolutely love it. Last time we were in New Delhi, my lovely cousins took us to this amazing coffee place called Barista. The vibe was very similar to a Starbucks, but you could order at your table, and it went WAY beyond just coffee. (Personally, I'd trade a Starbucks for a Barista anyday!) If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend it. I still think about a Brrrrista Blast I had over there, described as "our finest cold coffee, loaded with choco fudge, ice cream and whipped cream." (You can look at their cold coffee menu here.) When Ash and I returned home, I went to work on figuring out how to make one.

There are two recipes below--the first is for a "plain" cold coffee, and the second is more in line with the Brrrista Blast. I always use my magic bullet, but you can also use a regular or an immersion blender.

(Note: I've made it before with brewed coffee, and have found it to be too watery. However, if you use a cooled espresso shot, that would probably work, but I haven't tried it...)


"Plain" Cold Coffee (with a Magic Bullet)

2 ice cubes
Approx. 1 cup of milk (You know I don't measure...the beverage bullet container is about one-third full--I use 1% milk)
1 heaping teaspoon of the instant coffee of your choice (I like Nescafe, Ash uses International House French Vanilla)
Sugar to taste (I use 1 tsp.)

Dump it all into the Magic Bullet, and blend! I blend until I can no longer hear the ice cubes--but if you blend it too long, the froth turns thick, so be careful! (The milk will froth and increase in size, so be sure there is space left in the container.) You can also use a blender, but I find it easier to customize drinks in the bullet, as you make each one individually.

Also, if we're using it as a dessert, we'll omit the sugar and throw in a scoop of vanilla or coffee ice cream. (If using vanilla, throw in an extra bit of coffee.) If you're looking for more of the Brrrrrrista Blast drink, here's what I came up with:


Cold Coffee Dessert (with a Magic Bullet)

Few spoons of chocolate sauce (syrup is a bit runny, hot fudge is a bit thick--something in the middle)
1 cup of 1% milk
1.5 heaping teaspoons of instant coffee
2 scoops of vanilla or coffee ice cream
2 ice cubes
Sugar to taste (I don't use any)
Whipped cream (optional)
Chocolate shavings (optional)

Blend the ice cubes, instant coffee, milk and sugar in the bullet until you can no longer hear the ice. Drizzle the chocolate sauce at the bottom and on the sides of a tall glass. (something you would serve a milkshake in.) Place the remaining scoop of ice cream into the glass, and pour in the cold coffee. Add whipped cream, drizzle the last of the chocolate sauce and garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve with a straw and a long spoon.

(Note: You can probably subsitute chocolate sauce for caramel, hence the Barista picture up top, but I am more of a chocolate fan.)

Enjoy!

No comments: