Sunday, January 4, 2009

Neither Paper Nor Plastic

First things first--happy new year!

A lot of people have been talking about resolutions for 2009. I thought about it, and I don't have a "real" resolution, but there are a lot of things I want to do this year. Some are new things, some are old habits I want to break, and some are a few things I started doing in 2008 that I want to be sure I continue. (All you OE people--stop laughing at the start, stop, continue...it's obviously permanently ingrained into my brain.)

To highlight one, a while ago I got my first reusable bag, and unexpectedly, found that I felt good about myself everytime I used it. I felt that in my own tiny way, I was doing something to help save the environment. So, this year I've decided to actually keep track of how many bags I save. I think it will become increasingly rewarding as my number goes up, and the intrinsic reward will increase the frequency of the behavior. (Notice the counter on the left. Or actually, the lack of a counter-- it's just a text box. If someone wants to build me a counter, that would be AWESOME. But I can't figure out how to do it. So until then, I'll manually update the text box.)

The first reusable bag I got was by accident. JetBlue was running a promotion, and so we all got a goody bag of products that would help the environment. My first bag was a Chico Bag in red--I always kept it in my purse, and whenever I could remember, I used it at the grocery store. Though it is super convenient to carry around all the time, it looks wrinkled when you use it, and it isn't very sturdy (at least it felt like it wasn't sturdy). So, I was on the hunt to find a better bag. I needed something sturdy that could carry a gallon of milk without me worrying it was going to rip. Also, my wrists were starting to hurt--I wanted something I could throw over my shoulder.

Bring It In A Bag had just what I was looking for. (Full disclosure- a great friend of mine owns and runs the company, but I would buy the bags even if she didn't! The bags have been featured in Real Simple, The Wall Street Journal, The Today Show...go check them out!) This site sells jute bags, so not only are you saving plastic bags, but you are purchasing something that is eco-friendly. I have the super cute one that says "green is the new brown". It has held 2 gallons of milk, along with a bunch of other groceries, and I've never worried about it breaking. Also, the inside is lined so that if something spills, I can just take a wet paper towel and wipe it right off. LOVE it. This bag alone has probably saved a couple hundred plastic bags already--the baggers at Associated Supermarkets now know I never need a bag for my groceries. (Although one of them once said-- "I get it, save a tree, right?" Um, sure. Since plastic bags are made from trees. But whatever.)

So, that bag solves my grocery store problem, which is where I get the most plastic bags. However, I still needed a bag that I could keep in my purse, for when I might pick up things on-the-go. For this, I used to use my Chico bag. However, I've recently discovered Rume Reusable Shopping Totes, which I absolutely love. I now almost always have one in my bag at all times, and Ash even uses a mini one to take food to work everyday. They aren't cheap, but I love the designs (I have the "Fall In NY" collection), and they roll-up into the perfect size to take with me. (About three of the large ones roll up to the size of a grande coffee cup at Starbucks.) I highly recommend them! You can check out their website here.

If you're not convinced that carrying a reusable bag is worth it, here are a few benefits we've found...

- Have you ever opened up your cabinet only to find plastic bags sticking out? Yeah, our cabinet is not overflowing with plastic bags anymore. We still have enough plastic bags to use for the garbage (the few times we forget to bring a bag is enough to carry us over), but we don't feel like we're swimming in them.

- When it's raining or snowing, you don't have to worry about your paper bag ripping and all of your groceries falling onto the sidewalk. (No, it hasn't happened to me, but I've had several close calls. I call it the hold-the-bag-like-a-baby-and-pray walk.)

- Reusable bags (specifically the Bring It In A Bag and the RuMe bags) can hold a TON more weight. So, instead of struggling with five bags, I just have one thrown over my shoulder. My wrists thank me. As will yours. (Bonus: on those rainy or snowy days, with your groceries casually slung across your shoulder, you actually have a hand to hold your umbrella!)

- Glass bottles stay upright. Both the Bring It In A Bag and the RuMe bags have a flat bottom, like a paper bag. So, instead of your jars rattling around, they actually stay upright and in place. Who knew?

So, if you don't yet use reusable shopping bags--I highly recommend them. We've used them to carry groceries, carry Christmas presents, carry heavy things that will certainly rip a plastic bag (like an AeroBed), carry food to Central Park...the uses are endless! If you don't get one yourself, at least yell at me if you see me carrying a plastic bag. I'm on my way to saving the world...one (less) bag at a time. Also, if you want to join in, I'll happily add your name as well--just keep me updated, and I'll update the numbers. (And maybe then someone will actually build me a counter.)

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your resolution to break the throw away bag habit. It was hard for me to break the habit until I found compact bags (like your chico bag, maybe) called "Breezy Bags". There's a set of five in a little pouch that can handle my largest grocery store run. Check 'em out at http://www.breezybags.com

Jenny said...

I'm not done reading this post yet, but I had to stop when I read that the bag carries two gallons of milk. I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU CARRY TWO GALLONS OF MILK. Perhaps Ash was carrying the bag?

Neha said...

Jen--lol. I actually DID carry two gallons of milk--I had to make a bunch of rice pudding. I considered it enough of a workout to not go to the gym for a few weeks. Or ever again. ;-)