Friday, September 5, 2008

7 Minute Kulfi Recipe

Okay, so ever since I posted about the Kool Freeze Kulfi Bars, I haven't been able to find them at Whole Foods. You'd better believe I wrote them a nice email asking (okay, fine, begging) them to begin carrying them again. I used the location finder on the Kool Freeze website, but I searched my zip code in NYC and found that the closest location that sells the bars is in Palm Desert, CA, 2359.37 miles away. (Those lucky CA people!) I then sent an email to the contact person on the Kool Freeze website to find out if any NYC locations that sell the bars, but they never got back to me.

So, I proceeded to google just about every kulfi recipe I could find. Most of them involved boiling milk, reducing it, then adding sugar, nuts and flavor (saffron, cardamom, etc.) and freezing it in molds. I often make kheer (rice pudding), and reducing milk is not something I find enjoyable. However, as I kept looking, I came across a recipe on allrecipes.com that seemed to be way too easy, but the reviews were excellent. As many of you know, I seem to have a problem following recipes exactly. (This is why Priya will always make the best cookies and baked goods.) I can't measure properly, and my hands just throw random ingredients in despite what the paper says is correct. So, I researched a bunch of other easy kulfi recipes, and altered this one slightly. It's certainly not my Mom's kulfi, or the super creamy kulfi served in restaurants, but for a 7 minute prep time, it's not bad at all. (The recipe sounds a bit weird, but it works, I swear!) Below is the recipe:

Super Easy Kulfi (Approx. 8 servings)

3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup evaporated milk (I used fat free)
1 8 oz. container of Cool Whip, thawed (I used Cool Whip Lite)
3 slices of white bread with crusts removed (torn into pieces)
2 tsp. rose water
2 tsp. ground cardamom (optional)

In a blender, combine the condensed milk, evaporated milk and cool whip. When combined, add the pieces of bread and blend until smooth. Finally, add the rose water and ground cardamom, if desired. (Ash and Priya can't stand cardamom-- I can't get enough of it.) Then, pour into popsicle molds or freezer-safe containers (I used the small plastic ziploc containers, as I didn't have any molds), and freeze for at least 4 hours. I found that freezing them for around 8 hours made them taste even better.

See? Isn't that easy? Dump everything in a blender, pour into freezer-safe containers, and you're done! The whole thing took me about seven minutes to prepare--the hardest part was waiting for it to freeze. Next time I'm going to try adding saffron and nuts in it as well. (Though various recipes say to add nuts halfway through freezing time, otherwise they'll settle on the bottom.)

I know the recipe sounds weird, but trust me, it's not bad! It's no Kool Freeze Kulfi, but it'll hold me over for now.

No comments: