Friday, August 29, 2008

Posto

Yes, I know I haven't posted in a while (thanks to all of you who so kindly reminded me), but I was sucked into the Olympics coverage. I'm trying a new indian restaurant tonight with the family, so I'll report back on that, but for now I thought I'd pass along info on one of our favorite places.

Pizza is one of those foods there is an abundance of in NYC. (If you're looking for value--and want to be shocked by the largest slice you've ever seen-- be sure to try Koronet Pizza at 110th & Broadway.) One of my favorite pizza places does super thin crust pizza, and it's one of those cozy hole-in-the-wall places that can only seat about 30 people at a time. My friend Mike introduced me to it a few years ago, and Mike knows his pizza. His diet consists of plain chicken (no sauce or flavor of any kind--just salt and pepper), some carrots, and any kind of pizza. Living in Manhattan, he found himself eating the latter quite often. Therefore, when he told me he'd found the best pizza in town, I believed him. So, one chilly winter evening after work, he introduced Ash and I to Posto.



Posto is on the corner of 18th St. and 2nd Avenue, and it is perhaps the thinnest crust pizza I've ever had. That being said, it stays crispy, and you can eat a LOT more than you think you can. They also have great garlic bread, but it has chunks of fresh garlic, so if you are trying to make a good impression on a first date, steer away. The ambiance is nice--it has a tavern feel-- slightly dark, wooden tables, and mini booths that seat 2 comfortably, 4 with a squeeze. However, if you go later than 7:00 on a Friday or Saturday, expect to be waiting for a while. (There isn't much room to wait inside, so chances are you'll be waiting outdoors.)

While you're there, be sure to order the root beer-- by far the best root beer I've ever had. It's made by Saranac, and I've only found a few restaurants in the city that sell it. If you go during the summer, they have some picnic tables outside where you can usually get a seat pretty quick.

As for price, it's certainly not cheap. Dinner for Ash and I usually consists of 2 root beers, 1 large or 2 small pizzas, and an order of garlic bread, and we typically pay close to $45 after tax and tip. Considering the fact that it's pizza--it's not cheap, but we find ourselves visiting often. The quality of the food and the cozy atmosphere is just too hard to turn down.

Mike is one of my favorite people--a true friend who always knows what to say. And he knew that on a cold winter day, there's not much that makes me happier than a cozy restaurant, good company and perfectly cooked pizza. (On a personal note- congrats on the super marathon, you crazy, crazy man.)

PS- When you're done, you can walk to Sixteen Handles or Max Brenner for dessert!

No comments: