Friday, August 15, 2008

Yolato

I must preface this post by saying I'm not a huge gelato fan. I enjoy good frozen yogurt or ice cream, but find something about gelato's consistency slightly unappealing. That being said, with my recent yogurt obsession, I felt I owed Yolato a chance.

We walked in to the store on Broadway and 82nd, and I saw about 20 flavors. (The website touts a much higher number--apparently they rotate.) Yolato sells yogurt-based gelato, and after speaking to the exceptionally nice server, I found out that their best selling flavor was based on "Ferrero Rocher." (Heads up--she said they typically sell out of that one by 9:00 pm at the latest...and this was a random Wednesday night.) After handing Ash a tissue to recover from the fact that they had sold out of the flavor "made for him", I settled on purchasing the pink grapefruit and lemon sorbet. I agree it was a slight cop out to not get the yogurt-based gelato, but I was not disappointed. The pink grapefruit was tangy but sweet--very refreshing after the italian meal we had just eaten. It reminded me of the pink grapefruit I tried at Grom a while back, but sweeter. The lemon was good, but it doesn't compare to the lemon sorbet from Eli's. Eli's puts lemon zest in their sorbet--the frozen pieces totally kick it up a notch.

Ash loved the pink grapefruit so much he ordered it as well, along with coconut. (I didn't try the coconut--I'm not such a fan of that flavor.) I'll go back to Yolato, but only because Ash will drag me back to try their Ferrero Rocher flavor. I prefer the sorbet at Eli's (though the pink grapefruit was good), and would go for Forty Carrots yogurt over gelato in a heartbeat.

PS- I purchased the frozen "Yolato Bars" you can get at the grocery store a while back. The one with pomegranate sorbet...I wasn't a fan, but Vinny thought they were good. So, if you're the banana cream pie type, you may want to give them a whirl.

No comments: