Tuesday, August 19, 2008

16 Handles

My husband is adorable. Not only does he shrug and go along with whatever I feel like eating, he actually looks around for new places he thinks I may enjoy. So, when I received a phone call last week in the middle of the day about a new yogurt place, I knew it had to be good. He had gone and scoped it out, as he didn't want to get me excited about a place and have it end up being a disappointment. (He is usually on the receiving end of my immature tantrums--why go through the pain if you can avoid it?)

After a nice dinner at Thai Terminal with our friend Ashish, the three of us headed over to get dessert. It's on 2nd Ave. around 9th St., and it's called "16 Handles." Super cute. It's pay-by-the-ounce (46 cents/ounce), so you pick up a cup and fill it with as much or as little yogurt as you'd like. They have 16 flavors and a fairly large toppings bar, including chocolate and caramel sauce. Since it was my first time, I obviously had to fit as many flavors as possible into my cup. I tried:

Irish Mint (yum!)
Cheesecake (eh)
Chocolate (just ok)
Coffee (not bad, but an odd aftertaste)
Plain (similar to Pinkberry, but sweeter and softer in consistency--I liked it)

You cannot sample the flavors, but it's fairly easy to put a little bit into your cup and try a bunch. (Just make sure you pay before you start eating!) I believe the flavors change, as Ash tasted some flavors that were no longer available. They also had Peanut Butter, Very Berry, Mango Tango Sorbet, Banana, Strawberry Tart, Euro Tart (tangier version of the "plain")...and a few more I can't remember. The toppings bar had just about anything you could want--nuts, chocolate, candy, fresh fruit, brownie bites, coconut shavings, marshmallows, fruity pebbles (yes Priya, they have real fruity pebbles), and many others. I loved that they had chocolate and caramel sauce--many yogurt places are lacking in the sauce department. The blog post below has some pictures:

New York Magazine- 16 Handles

Overall, it was a great place! Probably second only to Forty Carrots in my mind--it's kind of fun to fill your cup with whatever you want and pay by the ounce. The yogurt may not be amazing on its own, but the whole experience makes for a good time. We paid less than $13 for the three of us, so it's probably in the same price range as other yogurt places, but you can mix and match flavors and toppings as you choose. I highly recommend it. Ash--good job honey. :-)

No comments: